Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ego

Sitting was difficult this morning; not an unusual occurrence.  I watched a series of Is pass through, quickly, as I tried to maintain some attention on the exercise; not very successfully.

I usually forget, when I'm speaking, when I'm thinking, in every situation that I have any attention at all, that it's only 1 single I that's present.  Whoever is present, at any given moment, I think of as I.  But, occasionally, this morning, it's clear that it's just a tiny fragment.  Who is it?

Later, I read several things online that reminded me of my own professional egoism.  I felt an intense reaction of distaste before remembering my own egoism in similar situations to those described.  

Outside of securing the necessities of life:  food, shelter - most of our activity, attention and energy seems to be spent satisfying the insatiable craving of the ego.  What is there that can give some balance to that?


No comments:

Post a Comment